For Sale - Guide Price £1,650,000 - Malston Barton , Sherford - 5 Bedroom

Property Overview

Attractive Grade II listed former Manor House, range of stone barns, general purpose modern farm building (with potential for change of use) set within 3.09 acres, in the heart of the South Hams area of South Devon

Full Details

SITUATION Malston Barton is situated between the town of Kingsbridge (3 miles away) and the village of Slapton (approximately 4 miles distant), outside of the area designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, but in the heart of the South Hams area of South Devon.

The A38 dual carriageway expressway, connecting to the M5 motorway and national road network, is about 15 miles to the north, with the cities of Plymouth and Exeter being about 20 miles and 35 miles away respectively.

BACKGROUND The name ‘Malston’ is derived from the Malleston family, who owned the manor from the 13th Century and in 1370 it was owned by William Stighull, who was granted the right to have his own private chapel and hold divine services there. Through marriage it was then passed to the hands of the Reynells and William Reynell claimed to be the most famous Sherfordian ever, since he fought at the battle of Agincourt in 1415.

The family of Reynells remained at Malston until 1735, when the male line came to an end and Malston subsequently passed through many different owners, eventually being incorporated in the estate of Buckland Tout Saints. This estate was split up in 1921.

The current owners carefully rebuilt what was left of the manor in the 1990s to form the current property.

The majority of the farmland surrounding the house and buildings were sold to a neighbouring landowner in 2018, who also acquired the modern farm buildings located immediately to the north of Malston Barton.

DESCRIPTION Malston Barton comprises the restored former manor house, a range of stone farm buildings, a modern farm building and 1.23 acres of grassland. The adjoining agricultural land and amenity copse, extending up to 28.95 acres in all, is available by separate negation to suit buyers requirements.

THE HOUSE Extending to a total internal floor area of some 2,985 square feet (277.20 square metres) the property provides the following accommodation:-

Ground Floor Front Entrance Porch, Entrance Hall, Kitchen/Dining Room, Study, Living Room, Sitting Room

First Floor Galleried Landing, 5 Bedrooms (2 with En-Suite Bathrooms), Family Bathroom

Lower Floor Shower Room and Storage Area, Boiler/Utility Room

OUTSIDE Private patio/sitting out area on the south side of the property, beautiful level walled garden mainly laid to lawn with flower and shrub borders on the east side and gravelled parking area on the north side and curtilage on the west side.

Within the stone wall of the walled garden lies the ‘cider cave’; an intriguing feature that historically was perhaps once used as a store for cider apples or the bottled cider itself.

STONE BARNS There are a number of stone barns either within close proximity of the house or further away that offer the potential for change of use to residential, holiday or ancillary use, subject to obtaining the necessary planning consent.

Extending to a total of some 5,340 square feet and by reference to the block plan, showing the layout of the barns in relation to the house and curtilage, these can be briefly summarised as follows:-

The Pound House (single storey) – 1200 sq ft
The Wood Shed (single storey) – 540 sq ft
The Cart Linhay (single storey) – 900 sq ft
Former Coach House (The Old Mill) (single storey) – 970 sq ft
The Potting Shed (single storey) – 145 sq ft
Kennels (single storey) – 175 sq ft
2x General Stores (single storey) – 235 sq ft & 490 sq ft

MODERN FARM BUILDING (4,650 square feet)

Constructed of a combination of steel and timber frame with corrugated asbestos, corrugated fibre cement or corrugated iron side and roof cladding with concrete blockwork walls in part, offering the potential for change of use to residential (STP).

THE LANDS (Up to 28.95 of adjoining grassland available by separate negotiation to suit buyers requirements)

Extending to a total of some 28.95 acres, some 28.11 acres of this is made up of permanent pasture, with a combination of gentle and moderate slopes, together with some 0.84 acres of amenity copse/woodland within the agricultural land.

SERVICES House – private borehole water supply, private septic tank drainage and mains electric. Oil fired central heating.

Stone barns – electric and water to some

Modern Farm building – electric and water

OVERAGE CLAUSE An overage clause is attached to the modern farm building in respect of change of use for residential at the rate of 25% for 30 years. Any future owner of this building will be required to pay the seller (or their successors in title) 25% of the uplift in value (triggered on gaining planning consent) if planning consent is gained for change of use to residential within 30 years following legal completion.

COUNCIL TAX Malston Barton is in Council Tax Band G with the amount payable for 2021/22 being £3,492.24.

LOCAL AUTHORITY South Hams District Council, Follaton House, Plymouth Road, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5NE. Tel: 01803 861234.

METHOD OF SALE Malston Barton is for sale by Private Treaty.

TENURE Malston Barton is for sale on a freehold basis, with vacant possession being available on legal completion.

VIEWINGS Strictly by appointment with the sole agents, Luscombe Maye, 62 Fore Street, Kingsbridge, Devon, TQ7 1PP. Tel: 01548 800176.

Grade II listed former Manor HouseStone barns (5,340 square feet) with potential for change of use
Walled garden and wide country viewsModern farm building (4,650 square feet) with potential for change of use
1.23 acres of land (Up to 28.95 of adjoining grassland available by separate negotiation to suit buy

Ref: 18134




To discuss this property please contact:

These particulars, whilst believed to be accurate are set out as a general outline only for guidance and do not constitute any part of an offer or contract. Intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements of representation of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their accuracy. No person in this firms employment has the authority to make or give any representation or warranty in respect of the property.